Sustainable Building Associate
The Institute for the Built Environment (IBE) is housed within the College of Health and Human Sciences at Colorado State University (CSU). IBE is an interdisciplinary group of faculty, students and staff who focus on sustainability and quality of the built environment. Our paid internship program offers experiential education and practical knowledge for students who aspire to be leading professionals in the design, development, and construction fields. Students are supported and mentored by senior institute staff and provide professional work products for our clients.
The Sustainable Building Associate performs tasks related to project management, integrated design, and LEED coordination and certification through a variety of research and professional projects. Associate internships typically start at 5-10 hours per week with the potential for additional hours as project work allows.
- Assist with green building and LEED administration consulting services, including:
- charrette participation and reports
- specification and drawing reviews
- green products and materials research
- client relations/communications
- project management
- general contractor support and education
- managing LEED certification documentation
- Contribute to IBE blog posts and quarterly newsletter
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Strong ability to take initiative
- Basic skills in internet research
- Exceptional enthusiasm and a commitment to learning
- Competency with Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to commit at least 12-16 months and work at least 5 hours per week toward internship
- Knowledge of green building and LEED Rating System preferred, but not required
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Architecture, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Urban Planning, Interior Design, Construction Management, or other) preferred, but not required
- Interns are expected to pass the Green Associate exam within 6 months of hire and the LEED Accredited Professional exam within 12 months of hire
Please include the following in your correspondence:
A. A cover letter that includes:
1. An overview of your key strengths, both professionally and personally
2. A description of your past experiences related to the primary duties and qualifications
3. The reasons you feel you’re a great addition to the IBE team
B. Your resume
C. A writing sample (for example: a class paper, blog article, essay, report, etc.)
Submit your cover letter and resume to April Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28. Include “Sustainable Building Associate” in the subject line.
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.